Monday, November 23, 2009

Journal 4

Skiing or snowboarding, that is the question (continued.) The thing is I'm a bit of a speed demon. The faster I can go the happier I’ll be. Skiing I can get going pretty good, just tuck, keep your feet together, and balance! But with snowboarding your feet are stuck together, so you concentrate on balance. If you get slightly off balance one of your edges might catch, which usually ends in landing hard on your butt/back or your knees/ forearms. The third time I ever went snowboarding I was learning how to use my toe edge, and I didn't know a certain slope was icy. My toe edge caught on the ice and I was sent cart wheeling through the air, landing hard on my right knee. I lied there short of breath for five minutes; it hurt too much to breathe deeply. Eventually I pulled myself up and slowly made my way down the slope. When I got to the lodge I took off my snow pant to ice my knee, it was already swollen twice its original size. I've been more carful since then. It's easier to fall skiing, but I fall harder snowboarding. I almost like snowboarding more; it feels like I’m flying down the slopes. You can pay more attention to the scenery and your path down the mountain rather than keeping your feet together and whets going on in terms of muscles and such. While skiing if you stop paying attention to what's going on and you hit a bump, you either crash or flail wildly.

No comments:

Post a Comment